Thursday, July 15, 2010

Oil UPDATE

Ok, so I must have caused some confusion with my last post.  To be honest I'm not sure what the BP 'workers' are doing in our area.  I've seen them all over the panhandle the past few weeks.  (I drive a ton for work, and when I can take a beach road I do)  but we've had no tar balls or slick on our beaches.  Our beaches still look like this:


And you know I would tell you if anything was going on.  I know that Pensacola Beach was hit pretty hard with tar balls a few weeks ago - but thankfully the tides/currents and winds worked in our favor and pushed it away from us again.  To be honest, it just seems that BP is hiring a TON of people to make a 'we care' presence.  Which is a bunch of crap.  Because I know that just 100 miles west of us, they need so much help that it is frustrating.  But now every time you drive by a state beach access, you see a ton of people just 'hanging out' under tents and drinking water against a huge wall of port-o-potties.  And I don't know about you - but when I see a wall of port-o-john I automatically thing race!  And then - why am I not signed up for it?  :) 

8 comments:

Christi said...

When I begin racing some time ago it immediately changed my perception of porta-potties. I don't hate them as much as I used to because they have helped me so much!

Tri-James said...

Thanks for the beach updates!

And endurance athletes are the worst. Ever seem the port-a-loos after an IM race. Wow.

Bill said...

You do have lovely beaches. Let's hope the tides keep them that way.

Amy said...

Funny about the port-o-potties. I think the same exact thing. I'm glad to hear the beaches by you are safe so far. Thanks for the udpates.

Maggs said...

They were on Dauphin Island for about 3 weeks before the oil showed up. Not doing much. But when the oil showed up nobody could complain they weren't there yet. I bet BP thinks oil will show up.

Joel said...

Glad to hear that the beaches are still clean - those are some of the most beautiful around.

@TRI-James is dead on. Cruising past a port-a-john at a 70.3 or IM race is almost bad enough to gag a maggot!

Judi said...

i hope your beaches continue to look good. it makes me sad thinking about what BP has done.

Amanda said...

i'm glad your beaches are safe!! My bro is in galveston and he said they haven't been hit because of the current and all too. horrible that some have! but happy you haven't.