Saturday, April 3, 2010

Redhills Tri

So today was the first race of the season - Redhills Sprint Triathlon in Tallahassee, Fl. And let me tell you about the girls in Tallahassee - they are freaking FAST! But it was a great race. Ok. An awesome A+ race. Not only did it run like butter, but it was in a beautiful venue (hello mossy oaks) had a great goodie bag and tasty food/beer for the post party.

Helen and I headed over a day early - due to the drive time and the eastern time change. Did I mention that Helen has her pro card? Anyway Helen and I have stayed in some pretty random places (In a hotel room the size of my car and a house with rooms that were not furnished - just to name a few) But the hotel was great and we where out like a light by 8pm. Just to let you know - her bike seat comes up to almost my elbows!


Up and at it early and to the course. The swim was in a lake (which was a comfortable 61 - so everyone had on a wetsuit). We where in the 3rd of four waves. It was kind of a creepy - lots of random stuff floating around. And random old men kicking me. Ugh.

The bike was very hilly. Even though the course was scenic - it was tough. Lots of hills, which is something I'm not used to. Coach told me to go all out on the bike. So I did. Out of the seat as much as possible. It's amazing how fast you can go up those freaking hills when your legs feel like they are going to fall off. Anyway I was so focused on the bike that I got a FREAKING PENALTY. Yes, the queen of red cards for IMFL got a freaking penalty. Some roadie would not let me pass him. Ugh. If I was all about the drafting I would not hold back and really make it worth the two minutes,not get it by being blocked on a hill. :( Oh well. I caught him on the run :) But ended up with an 18.6 mile avg for the 16 mile bike.

The run was partly in the in the woods on trails - I didn't mention that the race was in a state park - which was nice and shaded. I saw one person in my age group, which I passed in the first 400 meters of the run. But ended up with a 24 min 5k avg 7:45 min miles. Was 8th female in overall and 3rd in my age group. Not to bad for the first race of the season.

I LOVE races that give out prizes that you can USE. I'll take a blanket or a bowl anytime over a metal or trophy:

Oh yes, I won a raffle prize as well - I needed an new Ironman Watch!

Helen and I after the race:


Having a coach is awesome. I can totally feel the difference in my body in this race then any other race that I have done. This season is going to be stellar!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend - and Happy Easter!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything went well. Way to start off the season. Have a Happy Easter too!!!

Stefanie said...

Great job on the race

mmbaker said...

The race director for Red Hills is a friend of mine. I will share your comments with her. She always has some kind of hand made pottery for trophies. Congratulations on your finish.

Aimee said...

Hooray for an awesome race! 3rd in your age group is amazing! Oh, and I totally agree with prizes/finisher stuff that you can actually use. Although for my first HIM I got a shot glass. It's cool, but my days of doing shots are long gone! :)

Maggs said...

Nice job on the race. And that's some good swag. I agree, the useful stuff is way better than a trophy.

Anne said...

Congrats on finishing 3rd in your age group...sounds like an amazing race! You still look ready to go in your after pic...beautiful :)

Jamie said...

Podium AND a raffle win? Way to kick off the season!

Well done.

Unknown said...

Great job on the race! Exciting things to come for you this season I can already tell. I love the bowl, and I agree, I would definitely rather get something I can make good use out of.

Turbo Photographs said...

Congrats!! I like the unique prizes/gifts, too.

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

congrats!! cool take-home stuff after the race :)
-marn

Charisa said...

Congrats! I think it's going to be a great season for you!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Careful on those "old guy" comments. Sometimes our legs just "twitch" while swimming. It's an "old guy" thing...

Ironic on the penalty, Ms. IMFL Red Card giver (I am sure you saw the humor at the time....not!)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

COngrats!!

I hate when people be penalize because someone else didnt follow the rules and allow the pass

RR said...

Yay! Congrats on the first race!

Christi said...

Congraats on a great race! I love the great usable hardware that you got!

Sam said...

Awesome Job Chloe!!!

And sweeeet hardware!! Always great to have useful stuff!!

Keep up the great work!

Hope your Easter was fun!

Amy said...

Damn Beeeotch! You are quick! Congrats on such a great first race! Way to kick off the season!

Missy said...

Having a coach IS different! Yay, so glad you're starting out the season RIGHT. Way to go.

Joel said...

Congratulations on the race! Podium and lots of swag! Fantastic.

Weird, isn't it, that as flat as Florida is way out on the Panhandle where you are or in NE FL where I am, that it can be hilly in Tallahassee? What's up w/ that???

jen said...

Belated congrats on the tri! Great performance and awesome AG place. You are set for a memorable season!