Monday, August 8, 2011

Make your own 'power balls'!

As we all know - you have to eat on the run (literally) in triathlons.  And sometimes we have to eat allot.  I am not a huge fan of any type of gel (it's bad - sometimes I gag...gross)  I like to keep it simple and keep my tummy happy. What could be simpler (and cheaper) then making your own?  You know exactly what you are eating - and it's easier on your pocketbook.  Well a few years ago I ran across this recipe from Frayed Laces Blog.  If you have not checked out her blog, please do!  Laura is awesome and I can't wait to see her again at IMFL this year!  Anyway - she posted this simple recipe.  And these little bites of peanut butter goodness are AMAZING.  You can add or remove whatever tickles your fancy.  Here are some photos of my most recent batch:

I like to add in raisins and a little carob powder for some chocolate punch! 
Melting the honey and natural peanut butter 
The 'dry goods' prior to adding the peanut butter and honey
Yummm...the final product.

I am going to warn you though.  These bad boys are addictive.  Seriously.  I usually stick them in the freezer to keep me from snacking on them all day.  But they work perfectly on on the bike and taste like heaven!  Something just a little different from the usual gel or chews....and a hell of allot cheaper!  
bon appetit!




6 comments:

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

So interesting. I'm guessing they taste good if you have to freeze them to not eat. How do you hold them? Baggy?

Chloe said...

Yep - I stick a few in a baggie and keep them in my bento box! It's so hot right now - that they actually work better on the bike when they are frozen. If you try them out - let me know what you think!

Trisaratops said...

Those look AMAZING. Yum! I will definitely have to try them! :)

Christi said...

I must try these!

Kim said...

Very cool! I think I'm going to try them! Thanks C.

Elle said...

Thanks! I am going to try these for sure.