Sunday, June 6, 2010

How old am I again?

Friday morning I got in an excellent run and then towards the end of the day, I felt it coming on. The feeling...you know it's coming. I was crossing my fingers - hoping it was not true. But there was no doubt. It was an ear infection. Ugh.

Saturday morning I woke up and was suppose to do a 2 mile open water swim - well, that was not going to happen. But the double red flags (for those of you who don't know what that means - don't get in or else you will drown) did not let anyone get in and swim. So we hopped on our bikes and got in a 'welcome to hell' hot and humid three hour ride. Right after that I made a bee line to my dr's office - thank goodness he is open on Saturday.

This is not the most organized office - and doc like to chat. But with luck, I was the ONLY person in the waiting room. Awesome. He looked in my ears - yep. Just what I thought.
Doc: "How painful is it?"
Me: "Not too bad"
Doc: "Yet"
So we wrote me my scrips and I headed over to get them filled.
Pharmacist: "It will be about 10 min"
10 min my ass. Make it more like an hour. By about the 45 min mark, she could tell that I was dying of pain. So she pushed my drops past a bunch of old people's refills (who acted like they owned the place) and I finally made it home.

*Small rant - I have the highest respect for people who are older then me. But come on. Don't argue with Pharmicist when I get my ear drops first. I know you're blood pressure medicine is very important, but don't give me the stink eye when I'm in freaking tears, smell like hell, and can barely move my head.*


This is how bad it was. I did not even hit the shower. Drops in and I'm passed out on the couch. Riding clothes and all. Thankfully, I thought it would be a good idea to throw down some towels before I hit the couch.

But I was like this the rest of the day:


I'm better now - but man I hate ear infections. I used to get them all of the time when I was younger back in the three swim practices a day times. But I don't remember ever being in this much pain!

Hope everyone had a better weekend then I did!

10 comments:

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

Knock on wood. I have not had any ear trouble...yet! But like you, i used to get them a lot when i was a kid. Very painful. I hope you are feeling much better now. This weekend had to be the hottest so far in as long as i can remember. I'm not bitching though b/c it will only make us stronger.

FLATOUT JIM said...

Had em as a kid, and again about 10 years ago. Drove from Houston to East Coast Canada with an ear ache.

Aimee said...

Aw, I'm so sorry you have an ear infection. That just sucks! I hope the prescription takes effect soon!

XTB-XAVI said...

Take care!! I had never an ear infection but looks very painful!!Let's knock on wood, too!

Cheers from Hong Kong!

"XTB"Xavi.

San said...

Ah, jeez. Sorry to read that. Get well soon.

And wow that you did your ride anyway.

Cheers,
San

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You know, may not even be the swims either. Be sure to clean your ears out good after rides and runs, especially if you wear an Ipod. The way we sweat in Florida, nice breeding ground for goodies.

Hope your better soon.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I hope its gone soon, that sucks.

I dont get people, obvious you were in noticeable pain, I am glad the pharmicist saw that and helped you out quicker, people just need to relax and be more understanding.

Amy said...

Hate, Hate, Hate ear infections. I am so sorry you have one but at least you got medicine. I remember from being little my ear throbbing as I tried to go to sleep. Ouch! Feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

I hoep you're doin better. Ear infections suck donkey dung!

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

Poor thing that sux! I hope you are feeling better by now. PS This oil thing is too much to handle.....