Sunday, September 12, 2010

....one other open water tip

avoid making out with a jelly fish.  We did a 'back yard tri' today and I was looking forward to getting in a great 2.4 mile swim in.  But 4 minutes (yep...four whole minutes) into the swim - WHAP.  Right in the face.  I yelled and everyone popped up their heads to make sure I was ok.  Well, it felt like I was punched in my kidneys, my whole body was shaking, and my face and arms where on fire!  Oh yeah, I was crying as well.   So I made my way back to the beach and thankfully Heidi, one of my training partners wife, was there to take me under her wing and make me feel better.  So, here is what I learned today about taking care of jelly fish attacks:
*  Get in a cold shower asap
*  Get baking soda, make it into a paste, and rub it generously into the effected area
*  Repeat
*  Rinse
*  Put aloe all over effected area
*  Hang out in a cool area
*  Take a bendryl







This happened about 7am this morning - and it's almost noon and I still feel some slight stinging and my cheek is still swollen. Thanks jellyfish for ruining my whole workout. I hope you get washed ashore. :(

10 comments:

Brandon said...

YEOOWW! I can only imagine how bad that must of hurt!

One Crazy Penguin said...

Ouch! That is one hefty battle wound. I hope you feel better soon :)

Christi said...

Owwww, that does not sound like fun at all!

FLATOUT JIM said...

Yes but it will not happen on race day!

kristen said...

hey. it could have been worse. all the jellyfish could have died from the oil spill.

Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill said...

Piece of advice for the next time this happens. Jump into a chlorinated pool. Earlier this year, my wife & I were swimming of Fort Lauderdale Beach when she got wrapped by jellies all around her leg after just a few minutes of swimming. She was red, swollen and in pain, but didn't want to tank her whole workout. So, we stopped by our local pool and she swam for a half hour. When she emerged from the water, all redness and swelling were gone. Something to try if it ever happens again.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're recovering. It looks like that jellyfish got a good shot at you.

Thanks for the post on my blog. I'm in Gainesville - grad student at UF.

Katie said...

OWIE! are you ok? feeling better today, I really hope! I hope some smacked that jellyfish hard with a paddle! gah.

lee said...

Ouch!! Did you know that there's stuff called Safe Sea that's supposed to protect you from jellyfish stings? No idea if it works, but I suppose you could give it a try.