Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Best 20 miles ever

Last Saturday I had my first 20 mile run since the Miami Marathon in January.  Team CCR (Chloe, Carla, and Ron) as well as my friend Kelly decided to meet at 6am at Seaside.  Running from there gave us several water stops as well as trails that are shaded since it's a billion degrees outside.  Still.  (yeah.  thanks mother nature) Bright and early Saturday morning, my alarm didn't go off.  Well, maybe it did and I just slept through it.  As I'm throwing stuff together, I call Kelly to let her know that I was running late.  I was in such a hurry that I put on my running shorts inside out.  And it took me about 10 minutes of an 'awkard' feeling to finally figure it out.  Running late was no biggie - except that I would be running the last four miles solo. 

Once we all finally met up, we took off.  Long story short, I felt amazing, even in the heat.  Everything just came together.  This was a huge booster for me since my running has somewhat taken a back seat to my cycling.  Nutrition wise, I was spot on.  Water, Cytomax (freaking love that stuff), one Hammer Tropical Gel(yeahhhh caffeine), Hammer Endurolytes and jelly sport beans.  And with 5 miles left, I decided to throw something new into the mix.  Something that I've never tried before.  A 5 hour energy drink!  I wanted to test it out to see if my tummy would agree.  And it did.  My last five miles of the run where around 8:45 - which is pretty darn good for me with 15 miles on top of that and the sun beating down on me.   Has anyone else used that durning a race or training?  What did you think?

I would like to throw out a huge congrats to Marni from Trimari for qualifying for KONA in Wisconsin over the weekend!  If you have not checked out her blog - please do.  It's super informative on diet information as well as her awesome race report. 

Oh yeah...and the jelly fish sting on my cheek has blistered over.  Now I look like I've gotten into a bar fight.  Don't mess with me.  :)  Ha!

11 comments:

Tri-James said...

Great run. Did the energy drink give you any energy?

George Houston said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who puts their running shorts on inside out.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Great to hear the mojo was spot on. Keep it going for the next 7 weeks.
Unless you have been an IMer, you don't realize what it takes to qualify for Kona. I don't follow her blog, but WOW! I am impressed!

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

awesome! that heat kicked my butt too... mine wasn't so pretty tho. hope your face is feeling better :)

FLATOUT JIM said...

Can't believe it's still hot down there. I am getting ready to store all my summer clothes.

Emz said...

I love reading blog titles like this "BEST EVER". Just makes me smile.

YAY for you!!

Katie said...

nice! congrats on a solid 20-miler - i love reading this!

Habeela said...

Congrats on the awesome run and I hope that jelly sting heals quickly!

Aimee said...

Yay for an awesome run! That must have been a great feeling to finish it strong!

Kim said...

So glad you had an AWESOME run! Doesn't that feel great! You nailed it! I did see the post about the jellyfish.. yikes.. so sorry kid. You're making me REALLY scared for IM COZ who I hear has TONS of them during the swim.. um.. I'm scared.. yes, really I am!

Unknown said...

woohoo, nice job. Youre gonna rock it at IMFL! I used 5 hour energy on a half marathon before. Taste GROSS!!! but it does work, youre right.