Thursday, March 12, 2009

Huge step...

..at least for me. I love to swim. I've been swimming forever. Triathlons that are wet suit legal - we'll I'm one of the crazy ones not wearing one. Along with the old men in the Speedos. We've all seen them. You know who I'm talking about. Mentally, I think to my self "Come on old man - I can see your butt! Retire the suit from 1980 and get a new one".

Anyway - for New Orleans, I've opted to wear a wetsuit. Mostly because it will be freaking cold. And the swim is in Lake Pontchartrain. So Lisa P. was nice enough to lend me one of hers. I'm pretty excited. Kind of freaked out. This weekend sometime a few of us are going to go for an open water swim in the gulf just to 'get the hang of it'. I just hope I can get it of in transition! We'll see how it goes.

Here is a picture that Gina dug up from middle school volleyball. Ahh..the days when we all had bad hair.



Oh my - and another great 8th grade one. I think Barbara and I where dancing. Nebraska shirt? Wow. How do you like the socks and Nike sandals? That was so the style back then!

9 comments:

Herrad said...

Hi Chloe,

Great post always reads like I am there too.

Hope you enjoy the race and do well.

The photos are lovely.

Love,
Herrad

Amy said...

I think you'll be surprised with how much you like wearing a wetsuit. I always use body glide to get it on though (and that helps in taking it off too). It's a great idea to practice this weekend. You should also practice drinking, cause we'll be doing that too!

Vincent said...

I can't wait to become one of those old men. Being a train wreck that no one can turn their eyes from but everyone really wants to.

Oh the awesomeness of speedos

Melissa said...

Can't wait to hear how the wetsuit trial goes. But I have to say, you crushed my pleasant dream of the water being really warm. Isn't New Orleans in the South where it's always warm and sunny? Cold water...ick!

Nice photos! Ha ha!

-Melissa

FLATOUT JIM said...

I love my wetsuit. It's old and torn, the zipper is broke, but it fits me like a second skin. well it is a wetsuit.

I am a decent swimmer, but I need all the help I can get. You may like it.

kristen said...

I'm with you - when given the option I will go without the wet suit. We're hardcore, what can I say.

Gina said...

I bet you'll like the wet suit... When we dove in OZ it was really great b/c they keep you so boyant. I have a sweet purple one.

Nebraska - better believe it! I think I got it at Husker Swim Camp! :)

Missy said...

OMG you're the whitest white gurl evah! hahaha GREAT pictures!

I HATE, DETEST a wetsuit. HOWEVER, wearing one in NOLA is the right decision...along with a prescription for an antibiotic just cuz. Anyway, I not the super swimmer like you but the restriction is what I find unmanageable. I went with a borrowed sleeveless for IMFL and that was OK. Best of luck testing it out!

jen said...

Haha, awesome retro pics. :D

I admire you hard core non-wetsuit people, that's nuts. I bet you'll notice a huge boost in speed with the suit though.