Sunday, July 10, 2011

The princess had a face lift and new nutrition!

While training for my last 70.3 - I had some left hip issues.  Every time my cat eye hit 2:30 - BAM - my left hip started to scream at me.  So super awesome Coach Scott suggest that I go and get the princess re-fit.  Judah, the best bike mechanic ever, met me over at Big Daddy's Bike Shop super early one day last week and went to work.  A drop in my seat and an extension in my aero position - I was set. 

Saturday morning we had a small group meet for a hilly 50ish mile ride.  It was hotter then hell, but I was ready with my newly adjusted bike and my NEW NUTRITION!  I've been trying to use more 'real food' and avoiding gels and chews - and so far I've been pretty successful.  Lindsay Cotter, who has an awesome nutrition/triathlon blog, also has a great product called Healthy Bites.  They are wonderful little bites of gluten free protein packed goodness.  I ordered a few dozen from her and could not wait to try them out!  And let me tell you, they are AWESOME.  Easy to eat, wonderful taste, and my tummy was so happy.  So, if you are looking for something new to try - check out Healthy Bites!  YUMMM!   

So riding along - I kept on glancing down at my clock.  Nervous to see if my hip would let me know it was there and not happy.  But sure enough, the new position worked!  My hip felt awesome and my new areo position really stretched me out.  Judah is a life saver!  So if you are having some pain on the bike and have not been re-fit for awhile, maybe it needs to be revisited.  Call up your mechanic and see what kind of magic they can do!

And the best part of the ride?  Ending it with a nice jump in the cold spring!

I hope everyone had a great weekend - and congrats to everyone who raced! 

10 comments:

Christi said...

Yay, for pain free rides!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

That is exactly what I am going to do. Get fit for speed! Glad it worked out

Katie said...

you know, this weekend my back was aching the whole ride and i was thinking, hmmm, i haven't been fit in a long time....so glad you are feeling better!

Aimee said...

Yay for no more hip pain! I think I need to get my bike refit too!
Those healthy bites sound awesome! I may have to look into that.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

If I ever goto Florida, I have to visit that bike shop. Do they sell shirts or jerseys with their name on it?

MissFancyPants said...

fitting is everything. I had lower back pain until re-fit and went away.

DS said...

I went to Retul, it was amazing. You either figure in a whole season of tweaks and ajustments or you get a fitting, get it right the first time and have the rest of the season to get fast. Glad you're now pain free and ready for action!

Austin said...

thanks for the snacking tip...heidi will be glad i have one more thing to eat.
speaking of heidi - you need to do Augusta with her!!!!

Unknown said...

no hip pain and healthy bites....this is a celebration ride for sure!! so happy you liked them. YES!

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

hhaha glad scott tried to get you to jump on the augusta bandwagon.... those springs look devine... i hear PCB calling my name! btw are you doing sandestin? You should!