Monday, November 1, 2010

Ironman Week in PCB!

The best week of the year!  The beach is starting to fill up with guys wearing spandex :)  But really - I'm getting very excited.  My family is starting to filter in tomorrow, including my sister who I have not seen since Christmas since she's been teaching in South Korea for the past six months.  SO EXCITED! 

So the taper as began and I have all kinds of free time on my hands.  I finally whipped up a new batch of the "Best Damn Sports Bar".  I've been using these for years and for some reason they just work for me.  No tummy issues on the run, I know exactly what are in them, and they are full of good calories that we need to have when we are racing/training long distances.  Personally I don't like gels.  I'll take them on a run - but they really make me want to puke.  Just thinking of them make me want to gag.  SO my plan for Saturday are the bars, shot blocks, and cytomax along with some hammer nutrition products (LOVE HAMMER).  And I'll throw in a few 'emergency' gels.  Taking in about 350-400 Cals/hour. 

Mix Dry Ingredients:
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup of rolled oats (chop coarsely)
1/2 cup of organic vanilla soy powder
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon

Combine Wet Ingredients:
1/4 cup canola oil
4 large organic eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4t vanilla

Mix wet with dry

And then ADD:
1 cup organic raisins
1 cup organic dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups finely chopped almonds (I put mine in the food processor)
1 cup of mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut



Spread in greased 9X13 dish and bake a 325 for 34-45 minutes - bars should be moist in the middle.  When cool, cut into 24 bars.  Approx 250 cals per bar!  Whoohoo!! 

After they cool and I cut - wrap in foil, stick in a freezer bag, and then put in the freezer.  One batch usually lasts me a good month or so.  You can add/take out ingredients as you like.  Good stuff!


11 comments:

Tricia said...

thanks for sharing!

Aimee said...

Nice recipe! Thanks for sharing it!

Caratunk Girl said...

Ohh Awesome recipe!! Thanks so much for sharing! Emjoy your taper!

Jason said...

I came across your blog and hit a homer when I did.

This looks like a great recipe.

If you don't mind I would love to use it on my blog this Thursday in the Athlete's Plate.

Jason
www.baha703ironman.com

Christi said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will have to try it soon!

Amanda said...

Good luck, girlie! you'll do awesome. can't wait to track you! (wow. that sounded so stalker-ish)

Tawnee Prazak, M.S., CSCS said...

SO excited for your race! You've been working so hard, and have inspired me to get it together for Canada 2011!

Good luck, cheering for you!!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Can you bring me some bars at the Pasta party Thursday night?

Going to be nippy out there but that is what us big guys die for... if you can get over our initial whining.. that is.

MissFancyPants said...

These look so yummy - thx for sharing! I was looking for a new bar recipe, I feel like I am bored with mine...OH,and thanks for all the feedback on the Jaggad attire, I did my HIM in it and worked well. Can't wait to hear about Ironman Florida!

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

i'll vouch-they are delicious! chloe was generous enough to share the yumminess on one of our long rides :) can't wait to see you friday miss chloe! it's time !!!!

Kim said...

I am SO going to try these.. they look awesome and if Heidi says they are good - then I'm in.. that chick has the same taste I do!! It's almost time C!! Enjoy and mostly HAVE fun - you are ready!!