Thursday, October 30, 2008

Life Style

Per my entry below, I was talking about making triathlons a life style, and not just hobby. This made me think. Granted, I am getting older and not a big fan of drinking overpriced drinks and crowded bars, but my weekends are pretty boring. For example - last weekend the boyfriend and I didn't do much Friday night, but at least I was not by myself. Saturday night I usually go to bed pretty early due to our 6:30am 50 mile group bike and 5-10 mile run brick on Sundays.

Anyway, last Saturday I found myself drinking chocolate soy milk, ironing, and watching Ghostbusters II on Bravo. And it was 8:30pm. My sister gets home with some friends, they get dressed up for a Halloween party, and head out for a fun and drunken night. For a minute I felt like a total loser. Here I am, 28 years old, doing the most boring thing ever on a Saturday night. Usually this does not phase me at all, but for some reason last weekend it did.

At about 6:45 the next morning, riding with the group watching the sun come up, I realized why I enjoy getting up so early on a Sunday morning (even though it's the only day that I can sleep in!). I don't mind giving up those crazy drunken nights and awful, hungover mornings to watch a beautiful sunrise, seeing the gulf first thing in the morning, and getting a face full of fresh air. I love the friends that I have made and the levels of fitness I have achieved by living the triathlon lifestyle that I now lead.

There is nothing wrong with going out and letting your hair down, and I will do that every now and then. But right now this is what is right for me. :)

3 comments:

Sam said...

I completely understand! I am older than you but people tease me all the time because I don't really go out that often. Usually in bed by 8-9 pm. 4 am comes real early and if I don't get my sleep..ggrrrrrr.
As far as training....It is probably one of the most important things in my life. Generally I let nothing get in the way, and when I miss training or can't train like this week...I feel disconnected in a way.
Ok, so yeah I'm probably nuts but....there are worse things to be!

smachim said...

I wish I had realized at your age what the important things in life are (it took me 4 year more than you)

Brett Skyllingstad said...

I hear you on staying in. Here I am 24 yrs old staying in on a Friday night so I can go run 14 miles. Its worth it. To have an a perfect saturday or sunday that begins with working out is an amazing thing. Instead of being hung over and cursing yourself all day for a few hours of meaningless drinking. Its all worth it.